1kg fresh broad beans in their pods
2 garlic cloves, minced
2 tsp ground cumin
1 tbsp lemon juice
2-3 tbsp olive oil and more to finish
handful fresh coriander, chopped
pinch paprika or sumac
toasted pitta bread, to serve
salt and pepper
- Shell the beans and blanch for 2-3 minutes until tender.
- Run under cold water then pop the inner beans out of their grey skins by making a small tear and squeezing gently (this isn’t essential for small beans, but for larger beans it makes the dish a brighter green as well as improving the taste and texture).
- Place beans, garlic, cumin, lemon juice, olive oil and coriander in a food processor. Pulse a few times to combine, but keep the texture slightly chunky. You can use a potato masher if you prefer.
- Add salt and pepper to taste.
- Turn out onto a serving plate, drizzle with olive oil and sprinkle with paprika or sumac. Serve with toasted pitta.