110ml vegetable oil
250g granulated sugar
2 teaspoons vanilla extract
250g plain flour
65g unsweetened cocoa powder
1 ½ teaspoon baking soda
½ teaspoon salt
325g finely shredded courgette-don’t squeeze or drain
100g dark chocolate chips or chopped dark chocolate
55g pecans, roughly chopped (optional) – use walnuts if you haven’t any pecans
- Preheat oven to 350°F/175C and line a 9×13″ (23x33cm) tray with baking paper (or grease with cooking spray).
- Add the oil, sugar, and vanilla to a large mixing bowl and beat (by hand or with an electric mixer) until combined.
- Stir in the flour, cocoa powder, baking soda, and salt. The mixture will be thick and quite dry but don’t panic, the courgette/zucchini will moisten it.
- Gently stir in the shredded courgette. Do not use an electric mixer for this part.
- Set the mixture aside for 5 minutes to rest and let the courgette’s juices release into the batter.
- Gently fold in the chocolate chips and pecans/walnuts.
- Pour the batter into the tray and spread evenly to the edges. Cook for 25 minutes or until the edges are set and the centre is still a little bit wobbly and soft.
- Allow the courgette brownies to cool completely in the tray before cutting into squares.